Pages

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Boston Fashion Week








Get the Look
Burgundy Bomber Jacket: Forever 21
Burgundy Crop Top: Forever 21
Black Leggings: Walmart
Rose Choker: Primark
Maroon Heels: Nine West 

Everyone has a journey, a story that they tell to others. Every story is filled with chapters that are leading us one step closer to our goals, and our purpose. My story begins when I was not even one years old. My mother used to find her infant child going through her dresser drawers as if she was Cinderella trying to find the perfect look for the ball. That little child was, of course, me.

Ever since I can remember I have had some sort of engraved ability and passion for clothes, fashion, and style. I was homeschool and very sheltered as a child so I used clothes and my imagination to create the life I wished I had. I remember being nine years old sitting on the floor of my bedroom. I used to stare up at the many magazine pictures I had displayed across my walls picking out the makeup I wanted to try, and the outfit I wanted to pair with it.

Clothes were always my escape and my refuge. They were what I clung to as my identity; because I felt that I had to fit the mold I was taught. Now I use them as a way to help people feel good about themselves, and understand that fashion doesn’t have to be a negative thing. The question is, however, how did I acquire all this knowledge? Because I can assure you that it not just from just my natural love & passion.

When I was nineteen I attended School of Fashion Design, Boston right on Newbury Street. At the time I was living in New Hampshire and making the commute down to Boston a couple times a week. I stayed there for a year and a half and realized two things: one that the commute was too much for someone learning to sew, and two that I didn’t really want to sew clothes all day long, I wanted to help people.

So I took a few months off all the while working in retail. Eventually I enrolled at Southern New Hampshire University and graduated with a degree in Fashion Merchandising. Along the way I worked at many retail stores such as: Aldo Shoes, DKNY, Forever 21, etc. There I learned how to dress people based off their figure, their desires, or a specific need.

When I went to Boston school of fashion design I had an amazing professor who taught me A LOT about design, clothes, and fashion, of course. His name is Jay Calderin. He is actually the founder of Boston Fashion Week and wrote an incredible book: Form, Fit, and Fashion. It is a really cool book about the world of fashion and I was lucky enough to get a signed copy!

The other night my roommate & best friend Alison invited me to a fashion show. Ali works for the company Tom James and is a professional clothier. She suits people and custom fits them into the incredible Tom James custom clothes. One of her clients invited us to see his sister’s incredible designs. It was such a wonderful experience, and even more amazing because it was actually run by Jay Calderin, and my old school.

It was wonderful to see someone who influenced me so much, and so amazing looking back at my journey vs. where I am now. I have accomplished so many things since I went to School of Fashion Design, Boston, and truly know that I am exactly where I need to be. We all go through different experiences in order to lead us to our destiny! Maybe I am corny, but I have taken so many strange paths in my life, but they have all lead me back to blogging and using fashion to help others.

I feel honored to have met all the amazing people who have taught me about the different elements of the industry, so my knowledge can be transferred to others. I am so happy I started blogging again, and I am happy I went through so much to get back here. You see I had to take a break from my fashion career to start other things too, but life always brings you back to where you need to be at the right time.

I posted what I wore the night of the show, as it was a fashion event, and one can only go with their most fashionable outfit! It was so fun to Dress to the 9’s for something that turned out to be a flash from the past. The venue of the event was so beautiful with complimentary wine, cocktails, and coffee drinks. Waiters and waitresses walked around carrying fine dining appetizers, while we were able to meet the featured designers.

Two of the designers caught my eye and made my heart drop with their fabulous designs. One of the designers was the one we went to see. Her name & company is J. DOSI and her stuff is incredible! The finest fabrics, the most beautiful tailoring, and the most amazing designs! Her website is: https://jdosi.com/ Please check her out she is simply wonderful! 

The other designer was this lovely woman I met Graciela Rivas. Her stuff was so unique, gorgeous, incredible… I could go on! The colors were so bold, vibrant, and used perfectly. She is clearly a fan of rouging and I am simply obsessed. I saw her getting a drink at the bar before the show/event began, and I fell in love with her dress. Then later I found out she was a designer, and really loved not only her fashion, but her sweet personality as well! I hope that eventually I can interview them both for my blog. If you would like to check her out her website is: http://gracielarivas.com/ Please visit her as well.

It is always a pleasure to meet people, and be inspired by those who create. This world is filled with talented people. But when we find our path the universe has a way of bringing us to the people & places we are supposed to be surrounded by. How funny it is to now live in Boston, and end up at event for my old design school! I don’t usually like to make posts about myself, but I thought it would be fun to share a little bit of my history with you.

Let me know what you think! Let me know what experiences brought you where you are today. Was there someone who influenced your life the way Jay Calderin influenced mine? I always want to hear your feedback…. As they say you can never stop improving and I plan on expanding and growing for as long as my life will let me!


Designer: Graciela Rivas 
Wearing her own design

                If you would like to learn more about Jay Calderin or buy any of his incredible books his website is as follows: http://calderin3.com/ He really is quite an inspiring human, and I am just lucky to have been one of his students! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment